Wednesday 31 October 2012

Yard Work

A shorter post is definitely in order after that list yesterday! 

After a long day of window installation (more on that to come), we had some serious leaf clean up to do. I realized I've never really lived anywhere that leaves gathered on the grass each year. I grew up in a neighbourhood without a lot of mature trees. So anyway, I totally underestimated the time it takes to do the task. We worked for an hour and filled 8 bags/bins for yard waste day this week. Excuse the low quality photo, my iphone flash was not cooperating.



In other news, lawn vacuums don't work that well. My in-laws purchased a lawn vacuum on Monday so they brought it over for us to use. I think we probably clogged it, so I don't want to blame it all on the vacuum...but it definitely takes longer to do it with the vacuum than by hand, especially if you've already raked piles. We ended up doing it all by hand in about an hour, but probably have another round to do tonight. Lost the light pretty early so we didn't get as far as we could have.

The fact that we procrastinated on this leaf clean up for this long is pretty apparent also in our back lane based on the fact that we are the only ones on our street with yard waste out for pick up. Everyone else finished weeks ago. Oh well, we're getting there.

Anyone else scrambling to get some yard work done before the snow flies? 

6 comments:

  1. Don't apologize for that photo! I love how my eyes glow creepily. As for the lawn vac, I bet it works really well if you haven't raked at all and the leaves are dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true! We'll try it again when we do our second round with the unraked leaves remaining...if it ever dries up out there.

      Delete
  2. I hate my lawn vaccuum. It's supposed to suck up the leaves but in doing so it ends up disturbing the dry leaves around it. Then I end up with a windstorm of leaves. More end up in my hair than in the bag. I feel your pain. Plus, Ty's excuse for putting off raking is that it helps out with the Halloween spooky yard ambiance. That might almost make sense if we actually decorated for Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me laugh out loud...we definitely sported the leaves everywhere look even after doing some raking. We have a lot of trees! I was also noticing this morning when I woke up that there are tons and tons of leaves in our flower beds...not sure what to do in addressing that. Guess I'll be raking some more tonight!

      Delete
  3. Just mix those leaves into the flower bed! They make great compost eventually! :) No need to pick through the mud to get out the leaves. My dad always just turns the soil so the leaves get burried and turn to dirt themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems easy enough :). I put it on my list of things to do next week or over the weekend if there is time. Not another yard waste week for a couple weeks so we have some time.

      Delete