But there's only one way to get back on a horse, and that's to just go ahead and do it! (Or so I'm told, I've never done it.)
The rest of my sports room post will get published shortly. Suffice it to say, it was a bigger undertaking than I anticipated; each image took me approximately two hours to produce, and that kind of time is hard to set aside. So in the interim, you get the following:
This weekend is not only a long weekend in Canada, it's my birthday weekend. Yes, Queen Victoria and I are sharing a day for our respective festivities. A particular tradition of mine--as it is for many people--is making a birthday list.
Now, people say I go overboard with it. I just think I do a good job of organizing it; true, in the past, I've supplied prices, places to buy the items, even themed title pages. This year, I scaled it back a little, which meant only listing the product and a link to where you can buy it online (more for the benefit of my own family than you readers, but hey, don't let that stop you!). So without further ado...
Philip’s Birthday ListMovies/TV
A number of boxed sets top this list, led by the award-winning sports documentary series 30 for 30, which I missed when it aired originally but am really interested in catching up on.
- ESPN 30 for 30 Collector's Set (Blu-Ray Boxed Set)
- Friday Night Lights - Season 3 (DVD Boxed Set)
- The Pacific (Blu-Ray Boxed Set)
- Mad Men: Season 3 (Blu-Ray Boxed Set)
- Any Pixar Movie (Blu-Ray)
|Oh yeah, and Pixar movies. Save for Cars 2, you just can't go wrong.|
I'm all over the map here. A list featuring two spy novels, a young adult series' boxed set, and a literary classic is topped by (what Bill Simmons insists is) the greatest sports book of all time.
- David Halberstam: The Breaks of the Game (Hardcover)
- John Le Carre: The Spy Who Came In From the Cold (Hardcover)
- Rick Riordan: Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series (Hardcover Boxed Set)
- Fredrick Forsyth: The Day of the Jackal (Hardcover)
- Gustave Flaubert: Madame Bovary (Hardcover)
|A young writer I know recommended these to me, because I liked Harry Potter. Sold.|
I don't get to play video games nearly as much as I'd like anymore, and I play more board games now than I ever have. It's the price you pay for being married, my single male friends, and believe me, it's quite alright with me. That said, I've played every iteration of the Civilization series since #2, and I don't intend on ending that streak quite yet.
- Sid Meier’s Civilization V: Gold Edition (PC-DVD)
- Ticket to Ride: USA 1910 Expansion (Board Game)
- EA Sports 08 Collection (PC-DVD)
- Days of Wonder: Mystery Express (Board Game)
- The Logo Board Game (Board Game)
|Nothing wrong with setting the difficulty to "Settler" and beating up on some Carthaginians.|
- Needtobreathe: The Heat (Audio CD)
- Broken Bells: self-titled (Audio CD)
- The Lumineers: self-titled (Audio CD)
- Foster the People: Torches (Audio CD)
- The Black Keys: Brothers (Audio CD)
|This is an item on my birthday list.|
ToolsThis is the first birthday list to feature a category this practical, after my Christmas list broke the practicality barrier for lists overall. I've been lucky enough to have gotten a lot of the basic tools from my grandpa's old tool kit, as well as some pleasant surprises at Christmas time and throughout the past two years. And now it's time to venture into the world of scary, destructive tools.
- Circular Saw
- Reciprocating Saw
- Random Orbital Sander
- Tiling Wet Saw
- Tool Chest
|It's time, fear of saws, thy reckoning has come.|
- Anaheim Mighty Ducks 1997 Alternate Away Jersey
- Winnipeg Jets “Hawerchuk #10” 1979 Vintage Away Jersey
- Dress Shoes
- Golf Shirts
- Dress Shirts
|There are a lot of unique jerseys in NHL history.|
There are a lot of nice jerseys in NHL history.
This is one of the few that fits in both.
This is perhaps the most fun category for readers of this blog. There's a few electronics-related products, plus a couple kitchen gadgets. If you read our Would You Tues? post from this week, #3 should come as no surprise.
- Laptop Chill Mat (for up to 17” laptops)
- iPhone 4 Car Mount
- Fred & Friends Gin & Titonic Ice Cube Tray
|"I'm cooling, Jack, I'm cooling!"|
In case our parents are reading this, this is the category where we watch while you work! (Just kidding. We'll be busy documenting your work for this here blog.)
- New Garage Doors/Openers
- Beam for our Living Room/Kitchen Wall
- Bathroom Flooring
- New Interior Doors
|As awesome as it would be to have a can of paint in all these colours, where would I store it all? A gift card would have to do.|
That's all for this year's list.
Are you a May birthday? If so, what are you hoping shows up under the Birthday Tree? If not, what are you getting me? ;)